Baby Bedding: Comfortable Bedding for Newborns and Toddlers
- Iram Shaikh
- Posted on
Babies love to sleep! They can sleep up to 12 to 18 hours a day as it helps in the development of the brain and body. Because of this reason, it is very important to invest in good baby bedding. When a baby is born, parents have to purchase plenty of baby-friendly products like clothes, diapers, carriers, cribs as well as bedding.
However, out of all the products, you have to be very careful while choosing baby bedding. It will help you to avoid crib deaths and problems like Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.
However, if it is your first time purchasing baby bedding, read this article. Here, we will show you how to choose the best crib bedding for your infant.
What Is Infant / Baby Bedding?
Baby bedding is nothing but bedclothes or bed sheets linen on which babies sleep. It is the material laid on the mattress or crib to offer babies comfort and warmth while sleeping.
Baby bedding also includes all the other bed products used in a crib or a cot like a duvet, sheets, mattress, cover, bumper, pillow, etc.
It also adds decorative effect and protects the cot bed and mattress. You can easily remove the bedding and wash it. When it comes to kids, you need to buy a linen sheet set for them. It will help you to easily change the bedding if they make it dirty.
Baby bedding is also known as cot sheets. Apart from that, there are many other names like crib mattress sheets and nursery sheets.
What Are Newborn Bedding Essentials?
When it comes to bedding for essentials, you have to purchase many different essential bedding products apart from sheets. Baby bedding is a general term that covers all the essentials products a baby needs to sleep. It includes all these bedding products.
- Cot Bed with Mattress: It is the most important part of baby bedding. You need to purchase a crib along with a mattress. Make sure the mattress is firm and comfortable. You can also use bassinet bedding for infants.
- Fitted Cot Sheets: Simply buying a mattress is not enough. You also need a crib fitted sheet. It helps to protect the mattress and make it comfortable. It is best to purchase a 5 piece bed sheet set for newborns for rotational use.
- Cot Blankets: You also need a crib blanket to keep the baby warm during winters. Make sure you use a blanket that is made of breathable material and safe for kids.
- Cot Bumpers: It is another bedding essential for kids. It helps to cover the gaps and metal edges on the cot. However, make sure you choose cradle bumpers made of breathable material.
- Cot Quilt and Comforter: You can also use a crib quilt or comforter for kids. It helps you to decorate the crib. However, it is only advisable to use these products for older babies.
- Cot Skirt: If you want to decorate your baby’s cot, you can use a crib skirt. It makes the crib looks beautiful and hides the mattress and storage under the crib storage area.
Types of Crib Sheets for Baby Bedding:
Crib Sheets come in different types and materials. Here are the different types of sheets you can use.
- Cotton Sheet: This type of bedding is made from cotton. It is one of the widely used materials for baby bedding sheets. It is safe, breathable, and perfect for warm weather.
- Linen Sheet: It is another popular type of baby bed sheet. It is highly durable and breathable. This sheet also helps to regulate the temperature.
- Polyester Sheet: This type of sheet is made of synthetic material. It is affordable and easy to wash. However, it is not very breathable. This sheet is perfect for cold weather.
- Flannel Sheet: It is made of soft and warm fabric and is very affordable. It is mostly similar to polyester sheets.
- Waterproof Sheet: You can also use the waterproof sheet to protect the mattress. It is made of waterproof material and is breathable.
How to Choose the Best Crib/ Cot Sheets?
When it comes to purchasing baby bedding sheets, you need to consider these factors to choose the best and safe sheets.
- Size and Dimension:
The first thing you need to consider is the size and dimension of the crib or cot. There are two sizes of crib size available, i.e., Mini Crib and Standard Crib. For the mini crib, you need a 24 X 38 inches sheet and mattress, and for a standard crib, you need a 28 X 52 inches sheet.
- Ease of Use:
You also need to consider the ease of use. Some sheets can be washed in machines whereas others need to be washed with hands. So, make sure you check the instructions.
If you have a newborn or infant, it is better to invest in a breathable sheet. As the name goes, it is made of breathable material and allows air circulation. This way, the child can breathe easily.
You also need to consider the material of the sheet. Choose a sheet made of safe and comfortable material. It is better to use cotton and linen sheets compared to polyester or any other synthetic material.
If you want the sheet to last for a long time, choose a durable sheet. This way, you can wash and use it again and again for a long time. You need to purchase a good quality sheet.
Fit and Safety:
It is very important to consider the fit and safety of the sheet. You need to choose a firm mattress and tightly fitted sheets to keep the baby safe. It will avoid the risk of suffocation.
Infants have delicate skin, so you need to check the texture and feel of the sheet before you purchase it. Choose a soft and comfortable fabric for sheets.
Design, Pattern, and Color:
Lastly, you need to check the design, color, and pattern of the sheet. You can choose floral sheets for decorative effect. Sheets are available in different colors and patents as well. You can choose the color of the sheet as per the crib.
These are some of the factors you need to consider in order to choose safe and comfortable baby bedding cot sheets for your newborn and toddler.